DIY (do it yourself) blog posts on creating a homemade chalkboard isn’t exactly new but for me, I’m excited to be able to share with all of you something I’ve made.
We have this frame that is a weird size. It’s really just too big for most pictures but it’s a very cute frame and I want to use it someplace in our house. We’ve also been wanting to get a chalkboard of some sorts in our kitchen. Lightbulb moment! Why don’t I make the frame a chalkboard for the kitchen? Bingo! And that is exactly what I did.
Here is what you can do to make your own picture frame chalkboard for your home:
1) Find a frame you’d like to turn into a chalkboard:
2) Pick out the chalkboard paint you want to use. I decided it would be easier to use spray chalk paint instead of other variations such as paint on but either will work just fine:
3) Take out the glass or whatever clear piece used. In my case it is plastic. Lay it on something you don’t mind ever using again or dedicate it as your ‘painting’ sheet. I used some paper I had around the house but to be a little more Eco-friendly, they have thingsjust for this purpose.
4) Shake the can for about one minute to make sure the paint is good and mixed together. Hold the can about 12″ away from what you are spraying and begin by going back and forth horizontally until the who surface is covered in a thin layer. Allow to dry for about 15 minutes and repeat once more.
5) Leave over night someplace to dry. After about 24 hours, you can put the frame back together.
6) Once the frame is put back together, take a piece of white chalk and go over the whole surface of the chalkboard to prime the surface. This prevents permenant marks from forming on your chalkboard.
7) Once that is complete, you can erase it and voila! You now have yourself your very own picture frame chalkboard!